The Buttonwoods Museum is named for the Buttonwoods or sycamore trees planted on the property in the early 1740’s by Haverhill’s first Irish immigrant, Hugh Tallent. Mr. Tallent worked for the Saltonstall family, who once owned the property. In 1814, the Duncan family, prosperous merchants, built a fine example of a rural Federal style mansion on the site. Mary Duncan Harris gave “The Buttonwoods” to the Haverhill Historical Society in 1903 and the Museum opened in 1904. The Buttonwoods Museum houses furniture, ceramics, glassware, quilts, dolls and toys.
The Salisbury Point Railroad Historical Society, Inc. is a non-profit organization and has been established for the purpose of preserving and making available information pertaining to the history of the Amesbury branch of the Boston & Maine Railroad, the Boston and Maine Railroad itself, its predecessors and related materials pertaining to the history of railroads in New England. They own, operate, and maintain the actual Salisbury Point Station that was originally built by the Eastern Railroad in the 1870's.
Historic New England is the oldest, largest, and most comprehensive regional heritage organization in the nation. It was founded in 1910 to preserve and present the cultural and architectural heritage of New England, from historic properties to humble necessities, from art and artifacts to gardens and furniture.
Sunday, December 15
- 1 of 10
- next ›