Join Mass Audubon's Joppa Flats Education Center for an exciting exploration of the lower Merrimack River ecosystem aboard Newburyport Harbor Tours Inc.'s Yankee Clipper! Teacher Naturalist, Lisa Hutchings will provide her expert pair of eyes to help your family find all the exciting sights and sounds of the marshes and varied habitats of the Merrimack estuary as you cruise along the Merrimack River.
Each boat ride is 2 hours of hands-on science aboard the vessel as we cruise upriver on the Merrimack and down river towards the Atlantic Ocean. The tour will be focusing on the plants, birds, invertebrates and geology of the Great Marsh. Enjoy learning about local ecology with fun interactive props, table games, and demonstrations that will teach you all about size, behavior, adaptation, geography and conservation of the local river wildlife.
Don’t forget to bring your binoculars or borrow a pair of ours to see herons, egrets, terns, & cormorants, and marine animals like seals! Every child will receive a take-home activity packet and seashore search and each registered party will receive a bird checklist to take-home.
- For kids aged 3-12.
- Meet at the Newburyport Boardwalk 15 minutes prior to departure time.
- The Yankee Clipper is U.S. Coast Guard certified with all necessary safety equipment.
- All children must be accompanied by an adult.
- We will run this program in all weather except thunderstorms or small craft warnings.
- If we cancel the program, we will issue full refunds or program credits.
Register by phone: with a credit card by calling 978.462.9998.