This 658 acre estate offers rolling grasslands, grazing livestock, stone walls, and historic farm buildings are part of this pastoral landscape – a rare glimpse into New England’s agricultural past. A gift of Colonel Francis R. Appleton, Jr., and his wife Joan, Appleton Farms is one of the oldest continuously operating farms in the country, established and maintained by nine generations of the Appleton family. Miles of trails wind through area of grassy field, farm land and forest, and are perfect for walking and horseback riding.
America’s oldest continuously operating farm, Appleton Farms was founded in 1636 by Samuel Appleton and helped to introduce dairy farming to the American colonies. Subsequent generations of the Appleton family worked the farm until 1998, when Joan Appleton donated the property to The Trustees of Reservations. With the support of dedicated volunteers and donors, The Trustees spent years rebuilding the farm’s infrastructure.
In addition to the dairy, the farm is home to one of New England’s most successful community-supported agriculture programs, which provides fresh, local vegetables to approximately 800 families with full or partial shares.
Coordinates: 42° 38' 57.966" N, 70° 52' 10.9848" W
Coordinates: 42° 38' 51.8892" N, 70° 51' 3.1032" W
Coordinates: 42° 39' 21.546" N, 70° 50' 44.2356" W