The Edward M. Kennedy Institute for the United States Senate is designed to bring the history of the United States Senate alive – using technology to engage and inspire like never before.
The Institute features a representation of the United States Senate Chamber, interactive exhibits, and a reproduction of Senator Kennedy’s office.
Visit the full-scale representation of the United States Senate Chamber, see a replica of Senator Kennedy's Washington office, and use digital tablets to engage with our exhibits.
Governor John Langdon House is an exceptional Georgian mansion which George Washington “esteemed the first” in Portsmouth. Its reception rooms are of a grand scale suited to ceremonial occasions and are ornamented by elaborate wood carving in the Rococo style. John Langdon was a merchant, shipbuilder, Revolutionary War leader, signer of the United States Constitution, and three-term governor of New Hampshire. He built this impressive home to express his status as Portsmouth's leading citizen.
The Buttonwoods Museum is named for the Buttonwoods or sycamore trees planted on the property in the early 1740’s by Haverhill’s first Irish immigrant, Hugh Tallent. Mr. Tallent worked for the Saltonstall family, who once owned the property. In 1814, the Duncan family, prosperous merchants, built a fine example of a rural Federal style mansion on the site. Mary Duncan Harris gave “The Buttonwoods” to the Haverhill Historical Society in 1903 and the Museum opened in 1904. The Buttonwoods Museum houses furniture, ceramics, glassware, quilts, dolls and toys.
The Addison Gallery’s collection of American art is one of the most comprehensive in the world, including more than 17,000 objects spanning the 18th century to the present. In a typical year, the Addison presents approximately twelve shows, including both permanent collection installations and major traveling exhibitions, carefully balanced to represent a wide range of art, across time and media.
The White-Ellery House (1710), an outstanding example of First Period architecture located at the gateway to Cape Ann, serves as the backdrop for local history programming and a rotating display of work by contemporary local artists. The House is located at 245 Washington Street, just off the Grant Circle Rotary; parking is available for most events onsite or on nearby streets.
Saturday, January 20
- 1 of 10
- next ›