This is the only park in Beverly Farms. It serves as an important resource for the neighborhood, providing recreational and open space opportunities located near the Farms’ downtown area. The park is below street level on Haskell Street with steps that lead visitors to the play structures and fields. Due to its low elevation, flooding can often be a problem. New equipment for pre-school and elementary school aged children was installed in 2001 and Beverly’s Department of Public Services made drainage improvements to alleviate some of the flooding issues in 2008.
Prior to the late 19th century, the area that now includes Dix Park was gently sloping farmland through which Chubb’s Brook flowed into a mill pond that was located just north of Hale Street. During the 1890’s, the Connolly Brothers Construction Company purchased much of the land. In addition to using the area as the center of their operations, they mined the sandy soil from the hillsides for their landscaping work, thus creating the current steeped-sided basin.
Coordinates: 42° 33' 54.3312" N, 70° 48' 59.3928" W