La Vida's Adirondack Leadership Program (ALP) is a wilderness expedition for ages 15-18. On this wilderness adventure, participants will backpack or canoe amidst the beautiful Adirondack Park in upstate New York, learn outdoor camping skills, connect with other students, develop their faith and gain leadership skills. Throughout the expedition, they will have the opportunity to learn what their strengths are and build a foundation for leadership that will prepare them for the future.
La Vida Adirondack Leadership Program
Research has proven that La Vida helps participants form meaningful friendships, develop resilience and acquire leadership traits that contribute to success in their future. We have been running expeditions since 1970 and are a well-respected camp in the Adirondacks.
I’m not much of an outdoorsy individual. I’m far more likely to 'camp' next to a wood stove with a good book. However, going on La Vida was one of the best decisions I’ve made, as there are so many things to learn from the experience.
- Charlotte, 2016 participant
La Vida opened my eyes to many things. It opened my eyes to see God and his creation, myself, and the greatness in other people around me. In the months following my trip, I viewed the world in a different light and became a better person because of it.
-Amelia, 2015 participant
ALP Sample Schedule
- Day 1: Registration at Gordon College at 8 a.m.; ALP participants depart for La Vida Base Camp by 8:30 a.m.
- Days 2-3: Team training at La Vida Base Camp; ropes course, rock climbing and other team-building activities
- Days 4-7: Canoe or backpacking expedition (8-day trips have two fewer days of travel time). Groups travel to a different campsite each day. Group discussion and personal reflection are incorporated into each day.
- Day 8: Solo and reflection. Participants have the opportunity to rest, pray, fast, read their Bible, and set goals.
- Day 9: Expedition end and celebration at La Vida Base Camp
- Day 10: Final challenge and drive to Gordon. Participants are picked up at Gordon College around 8 p.m.
- June 27 - July 6 (10-day trip)
- July 13 - July 20 (8-day trip)
- July 27 - August 3 (8-day trip)
- August 13 - August 22 (10-day trip)