Theater in the Open hosts their Summer Arts Workshop is a fun-filled, out-door, adventurous way to learn and grow at Maudslay State Park in Newburyport. It is a place where young people have the opportunity to be creative and build lasting relationships with their peers in a safe, non-competitive environment designed for personal and artistic growth. Our professional staff of artists and educators is dedicated to providing our students with a positive, creative, artistic experience.
Theater in the Open’s Summer Arts Workshop offers choices for a wide range of students:
Theater Arts Workshop | Ages 6 -12 | Register Now
These two-week sessions for young people teach fundamental skills in acting , movement, visual arts and improvisation, culminating in a short live performance in front of friends and family at the end of each session on 'Share Day'.
Three Sessions (2 weeks each):
- Session I: June 4 - 15, 2016
- Session II: July 18 - 29, 2016
- Session III: August 8 – August 19, 2016
Performance Class | ages 9-14 | Register Now
Performance One | ages 9-11 | July 4-29, then August 8-19, 2016 9am-2pm
- For students who want a challenge, we offer our six week Performance Class. Participants in this class will be involved in a full scale production from auditions to set building to opening day.
Teen Performance | ages 12-14 | July 4-29, 2016 9am-2pm
- This workshop is geared to those teens who would like to continue to develop their drama, improvisation and movement skills while creating a full-scale theater production.
Teen Performance - Exploring Poe | ages 12-14 | August 8-19, 2016 9am-2pm
- This is a unique opportunity for students to help to develop and participate in a Theater in the Open professional production. We will be staging an adaptation of Edgar Allen Poe’s works in the early Fall season, and this 2-week Workshop will invite students to explore Poe as writers, actors and visual artists. Students will have the opportunity to share their ideas with Poe’s director, and elements of their work may be incorporated into the final production.
- Instructor: James Sheriden
Teen Intensive Workshop | ages 14-17 | Register Now
Teen Intensive | ages 14-17 | July 4 - 29, 2016 2-5:30pm
- Teens will experience a four week intensive process of exploration and development, tackling challenging content rooted in physical theater methods. This class focuses on process rather than product, with a brief performance on the final day of class that reflects the students’ personal growth and skill development.
- Instructor: Stephen Haley, PhD
Teen Intensive Art Session | ages 14-17 | August 8-19, 2016 2-5:30pm
- For teens who would like to pursue the visual arts in more depth can join a 2-week workshop that will be lead by local artists who work in a variety of mediums – painting, drawing, sculpting and journaling. This class will be held outdoors and blend exploration of the natural environment with the creative impulse.
ArtsEd | More Info
Ages 13 to 14 | July 4th-29th, 2016 9am-2pm
- For a limited number of students who discover a passion for education early in life, we offer a chance to learn directly from our staff of artists and educators over four weeks. These students will assist at two Workshop Sessions, learning how art, dance and theater are employed to provide each young student with a positive and safe environment for creative expression. Students will spend time each day discussing pedagogy with head teachers and building relationships with younger students. To ensure a rewarding learning experience for all involved, this program has a limited enrollment and applicants will be selected by the Workshop Director.
- [This program is full]
Available from 2 pm to 5 pm for an additional fee of $8 an hour and can be arranged on a week to week basis with the staff member in charge of the program.
Scholarships | apply
Limited scholarships are available for qualified families. In order to help as many families as possible, Theater in the Open commonly awards partial scholarships.